Troy Adams, 49, Hotel Winton

Troy Adams, 49, has worked as a truck driver and in private security in Kuwait. He is from Fort Worth, Texas, but has been living in San Francisco for a number of years.

Formerly living on the street, he is now living in the Hotel Winton and attends weekly counseling and substance abuse meetings. 

This is a just a small piece of his story—a rundown of how he got off the street and into SRO (Single Room Occupancy) hotel.

Help and resources for getting off the street:

HOT (Homeless Outreach Team) - offers help to get homeless people connected with services that provide housing and medical treatment.

PAES Program (Personal Assisted Employment Services)- provides a cash stipend to employable adults that are interested in finding employment, as well as training for supportive services necessary to gain lasting employment.

How to Apply for General Assistance (GA) GA is a safety net program for indigent adults that provides a cash grant. In exchange, able-bodied recipients are expected to perform Workfare community service.

How to find out if you are eligible to recieve SSI Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a federal program that provides monthly payments to people who have limited income and few resources. SSI is for elderly people, as well as blind or disabled people of any age, including children

How to Apply for Food Stamps in San Francisco Applying is easy - You can call the Food Assistance Service Center at (415) 558-1001 or toll-free at (877) 366-3076

Tenderloin Housing Clinic San Francisco's largest permanent housing program for single homeless adults and is a leading provider of legal services to low-income tenants.

Central City SRO Collaborative San Francisco orginization thats helps organize SRO tenants, including tenant rights and city and state building and health codes.


Housing Newsletter Tracker