Mie Prefectural Office was designed and built by the master-carpenter Gihachi Shimizu (1841-1914). The construction was begun in 1878 and completed in 1879.  It was one of the typical Western-style government offices of the early Meiji period. Japanese carpenters who, having no formal western architectural education, built it just as they saw it and imitated it; the technique called "graining" handed down from the West was adopted for constructing doors, windows and window frames.

Built by Sadataka Iwamura, then Governor of the Mie Prefecture, it is a wooden Palladian building, with pedimented central porch and long colonnaded wings. Part of the governor’s room was remodeled in 1887. Emperor Meiji visited the building in 1880. The building survived the disaster of World War II and had been in use for eighty-five years. It was rebuilt in the Meiji-Mura in 1967 and was designated as an ‘Important Cultural Property’ in 1968. The building now houses various sorts of materials for studies of the Meiji period and sometimes it is used for special exhibitions given by the Meiji-Mura.


Loading
Housing Newsletter Tracker