This building was begun in 1909, when General Maresuke Nogi (1849-1912) was the tenth principal of Gakushūin, the school for the Imperial family and the peerage. When it was built, it was the reception hall for the guests, but after Nogi’s death in 1912 it was turned into the official residence of the principal. And therefore, it consists of two parts, a Western-style two-storied building for receptions and parties and a Japanese-style two-storied house, the iron entrance porch being the common access to both buildings. Emperor Hirohito attended Gakushuin when this building stood in the campus.

 

Photos: 
Bookstore: 

Loading
Housing Newsletter Tracker